Great book on building better communication with your children by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Title: How to talk so kids will listen & listen so kids will talk
- See their website: https://www.fabermazlish.com/
- And an overview of better communication: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU7Z6v128CI
Another great book on parenting is by H. Stephen Glenn and Jane Nelsen: Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World. To get a sense of what is in the book, you can see this excerpt on how to teach responsibility to a child or young person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YURMsnmbc1E
Richard Lavoie: The Motivation Breakthrough; 6 Secrets to Turning on the Tuned-Out Child
Jane Nelsen is a gifted author and educator, two books I highly recommend are below. Here’s Jane giving a summary of her discipline philosophy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-e4H2rsEww
- And here’s her website: https://www.positivediscipline.com/
- Jane Nelsen: Positive Discipline
- Jane Nelsen: Positive Discipline for Preschoolers
Applying the Montessori Method at home is something parents can do to facilitate their child’s learning, whether they are in regular school or homeschooled.
- The American Montessori Society has a valuable website with tips on utilizing the Montessori Method at home: https://amshq.org/Family-Resources/Montessori-at-Home
- Tim Seldin: How to raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
- Elizabeth Hainstock has two books below on using Montessori elements in your homeschool.
- Elizabeth Hainstock: Teaching Montessori in the Home; the Pre-School Years
- Elizabeth Hainstock: Teaching Montessori in the Home; the School Years
- Wellness Mama has an excellent online article: https://wellnessmama.com/60555/home-montessori/
Ron Davis wrote this valuable book explaining his understanding and treatment of dyslexia (including how practitioners can be trained in his method).
- Ronald Davis: The Gift of Dyslexia
- This video gives a short introduction to Ron and his work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqyInQ9XwY
To give your child a variety of math worksheets on the same skill in order to develop math fluency, these can be very helpful. They come with answers. and are available for an inexpensive subscription: www.themathworksheetsite.com